Thursday, January 09, 2020

Shape of You

We never put a marker on your grave, 
And now when I think of you
I cry because I don't remember the shape of my love for you
Or the shape that your mind felt like, pressing against mine
Your shape - your edges and curves and bends
The edges where you angered
The curves where you relented
The bends where you surprised
And the feeling of you. 
I lost the feeling of you. 
All I have left
Is a space under a tree
Where I think we put you
I know we put you there
I remember the shape
The earth made
A mound of soil of equal volume
To the shape of you beneath
And my eyes kept straying 
To how much the mound shrank and flattened
Disappeared slowly, a volume shrinking to nothing. 
A shape shrinking to nothing. 
Somewhere between then and now
The tree died too
And the patch of soil
The shape of it blurred
And lost its self. 
Now I say your name over and over
Conjuring a shape
Always a little different each time
I stuff memories together
Add their volumes to make a cumulative container
And I feel blindly along its edges
Maybe the sum of these parts will conjure a whole
And I can resurrect the shape of you. 


No comments: